Thursday 21 January 2021

Is There Really A Here-After?

My brother 'passed on', as I like to put it, in the summer of 2019 and my dad in the winter of 2020. Some people believe there is nothing after death while others continue communicating with the persons gone before us. They speak to them, listen to them and spend time in their company. I'm one of those.

Of course, it's all in the mind. You could say the memory of the person triggers our imagination, a fantasy world that helps one deal better with the loss of a loved one. But to me it's not important whether other people believe I'm imagining it or not, I smile when I think of my dad and brother and all the other wonderful people I imagine them to meet and play with on 'the other side'. 

Perhaps, I'll get the shock of my life when I pass on that I just go into darkness and that's it, but in the meantime I've been happy and to me that counts for a lot. We can go through life focusing on our loss or we can go through life focusing on the gain those people might have, the beautiful place of goodness and love where we imagine them to be.

One way or another their spirit can live on through us, we can take on some of the good habits we so admired in them. Joe Biden who lost his wife and child and was left nursing back his two boys from the accident talks about honouring the memory of the loved ones by engaging in activities that they would approve of.

When Joe Biden's son Beau died in 2015 Joe overcame his grief by committing himself to continue the protection of children charity that his son had started in order to help abused children. 

Perhaps the important thing is not what we believe but that we connect with that inner and outer goodness which can heal and permeate our own and other people's lives, if we let it.

2 comments:

  1. God rest you brother and Dad Michaela. I also remember and pray for my wife, Claire, whose second anniversary it is this week. our faith tells us that we will meet again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely comment, I'm sure Claire is watching over you.

    ReplyDelete